background

Monday, October 7, 2013

How to Make the Most of Every Bride's Nightmare: Rain on Your Wedding Day

Every bride wishes for a gorgeous wedding day. Blue skies, a shining sun, and a slight breeze; these are hoped and prayed for in the months leading up to the wedding day. Some brides become obsessed with the weather and let themselves worry that this, the weather, will ruin their wedding day.


Being recently married, I can tell you firsthand how obsessed I became with what the weather would be on my wedding day. I checked the forecast for weeks leading up to my wedding, and the first thing I did when I woke up on the day of was check the hourly forecast (I'm not kidding). Sad, but true.

Brides, myself included, put way too much emphasis on the weather! In the end, the weather will be what it is, and we just need to find a way to focus on what is really important, the point of the entire day - getting married!

On this incredibly dreary day, when looking outside means looking into a wall of rain, I can't help but think about how beautiful the rain is! Although, on my wedding day a few months ago, I can tell you that was not what I was thinking. To give you a little background, I am a past BMH bride, married here this past summer. I loved BMH and can honestly say I couldn't have been more excited to be married here. I was told 2 weeks before my big day that the forecast said rain. Let's be honest... how accurate is the weather forecast in general, let alone two weeks in advance? But from that moment on, I became obsessed. I would look at the forecast every five minutes, refreshing and refreshing, only to see the same result: 80% chance of rain, thunderstorms likely for most of the day. At an early 7am on my wedding day, the forecast said the same thing, and looking outside, I became so discouraged - rain, rain, and more rain. By the time my dress was on and it was time for pictures, I was freaking out. Thankfully, I had booked to have my ceremony in the Manor Barn, which was gorgeous, and by the time the ceremony started, the rain had stopped, although the sky still had a scary look to it. :)

My husband with the littlest ones in our bridal party. Look at that dark sky!
As soon as I walked into the barn to say "I do", I realized how stupid I'd been to focus so much on the weather. This day is not about perfection, it's about promising to spend your life with your new husband! Yes, my day did not start out perfectly, but it was perfect. In fact, we had the most amazing sunset because of the rain clouds!

Photo Credit: Mike Landis Photography
Brides, we need to focus not on how bad our wedding days will be if it rains, but on how we can use the rain to our advantage! Hence, the tips and tricks below.

First, begin your wedding day with a backup plan. Make a rain plan early into wedding planning, preferably right after you choose your venue. This way, if rain happens, there aren't any questions about what you should do! So far, most of our brides have chosen the Manor Barn as their backup plan. But if an outdoor ceremony is what you've always dreamed of, then do it! Risk the rain and have your day like you imagined. Just be prepared for the rain if it comes. In looking at the sky, you can see that the couple pictured below obviously knew the risk of rain, but they stuck with their vision, and got some amazing photos out of it!


Next, be prepared and bring umbrellas! Having umbrellas and not needing them is much better than not having them and needing them! You should come prepared with enough for the bridal party at least. You can even buy a clear or white one for you! If you forget umbrellas, remember that you can rent them from us at BMH! We have a high number of umbrellas available for rent should you want to have extra for your guests.


Trust your vendors. You picked them for a reason! Know that they'll do their best to make sure your wedding day is perfect. On that same note, because I, for one, was most worried about pictures, know that your photographer has likely done this a million times and knows how to work in the rain. And you may get more amazing photos because of it, like the one below from Jensen Photography! 


Most important: Have fun! You only get to do this once. This is your day to have as much fun with your husband as possible! Play in the rain, get your feet wet. Your hair can be combed, your dress can be cleaned, but you only get this day once

Photo Credit: Siousca Photography

Ladies, don't do what I did; don't stress over what you can't control. Instead, plan ahead and know that if it rains, you're prepared to make the most out of it. This is your day; your amazing, beautiful, crazy, day; the end of the stress-road. Have fun. Appreciate it. Know that if it rains, you'll still end the day married. And really, what is more important than that?


No comments:

Post a Comment